The Research group MOVANT in the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences is looking for a full-time (100%) postdoctoral scholarship* holder or a part-time (40%) postdoctoral researcher not on scholarship in the field of e-Health and technology supported health care.
* When applying for the full-time postdoctoral scholarship, the obtained PhD needs to be from a non-Belgian institution.
This position is framed within the postdoc challenge “The big LEAP forward: teLerehabilitation and E-heAlth in Physiotherapy” organized by the research group MOVANT (Movement Antwerp): Telerehabilitation and eHealth, although providing novel opportunities and advantages for rehabilitation and physiotherapy programs, still pose many challenges at societal, technological and individual levels. With this postdoc challenge we aim to recruit a postdoc candidate proficient in tackling these challenges at least at one of three levels: 1) technological: advancing the technical level of eHealth in physiotherapy by research on technology and the inclusion of artificial intelligence (AI) for using collected patient data in clinical decision making; 2) individual: monitoring and/or alleviating barriers by researching emotions, cognitions, and behavior in different contexts to explain differences in outcome; 3) societal: providing evidence of (cost-)effectiveness of telerehabilitation and eHealth in physiotherapy through large-scale intervention trials.
The research group MOVANT aims to recruit a postdoc candidate with the potential to apply for an FWO postdoctoral fellowship and/or a Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions (MSCA)-postdoctoral fellowship. The candidate will be supported by a promotor and a mentor team, consisting of several ZAP colleagues and the MOVANT research coordinator.
- You will assist in ongoing research projects in eHealth and technology supported rehabilitation in MOVANT (including supervision of junior researchers), e.g. app development and effectiveness studies, adherence studies, big data analysis. If you are interested in which research is currently ongoing, watch our introductory movie clip on the MOVANT website.
- You will write project proposals for individual postdoctoral grants (e.g. FWO postdoctoral fellowship, MSCA-PF, or equivalent) in the field of e-Health and technology supported rehabilitation with the aim to attracting external funding to extend your postdoc position.
- You will make an initial start to your own research line in the field of e-Health and/or technology supported rehabilitation within the context of MOVANT.
- You hold a PhD in a field related to e-Health and technology supported health care (e.g. rehabilitation sciences, movement sciences, bio-informatics, mathematics, social sciences, etc) or you will have obtained it by the time you start work. When applying for the full-time postdoctoral scholarship, this PhD needs to be from a non-Belgian institution.
- You are proficient in one of the following domains, or a domain related to these domains:
- Product development/(Medical) Engineering/Bio-Informatics/Bio-Statistic/Mathematics: Research into the technological development of telerehabilitation and eHealth programs, preferably coupled to research into artificial intelligence (AI) tools for the use of big data arising from the use of telerehabilitation and eHealth for guiding clinical decision-making.
- Medical anthropology/Communication/Psychology: Research into improving uptake of telerehabilitation and eHealth tools by making use of patient profile data.
- Physiotherapy/(Bio-)Medical sciences: Research into the (cost-)effectiveness of digital health technology for rehabilitation and physiotherapy through large-scale clinical trials.
- You are eligible for applying to an FWO postdoctoral fellowship (junior or senior) and/or MSCA-Postdoctoral fellowship:
- Eligibility criteria FWO postdoctoral fellowship
- The candidate holds a PhD by thesis or a degree or a diploma or certificate recognized as equivalent in accordance with European Union directives or a bilateral agreement (PhD defense at minimum planned before 1 June 2023)
- The PhD was obtained not longer than 3 years (for junior fellowships) or 6 years (for senior fellowships) before 1 October 2024
- The candidate did not previously receive a similar fellowship (not even in part).
- The candidate did not apply two times for an FWO postdoctoral fellowship.
- Eligibility criteria MSCA-Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Mobility Rule: the candidate did not live, work or study in Belgium for more than 12 months during the 3 years prior to the call deadline (September 2023)
- The candidate holds a PhD degree, at the date of the call deadline (PhD defense at minimum planned before September 2023).
- No more/up to 8 years of full time equivalent (FTE) research experience after obtaining doctoral degree at the time of application (September 2023). Years of experience outside research like teaching, working in industry on nonresearch areas and career breaks like parental leave, medical leave, national service, and long term sick leave (period of more than 30 days) will not count for the number of years.
- Your research qualities are in line with the faculty and university research policies.
- You act with attention to quality, integrity, creativity and cooperation.
- You can speak and write fluently in English and are eager to learn to express yourself in Dutch.
- Eligibility criteria FWO postdoctoral fellowship
What we offer
- We offer a full-time appointment as a postdoctoral scholarship holder for a period of 1 year ora part-time contract (40%) as a postdoctoral researcher for a period of 1 year.
- As postdoctoral scholarship holder, your monthly scholarship amount is calculated according to the scholarship amounts for postdoctoral scholarship holders on the pay scales for Contract Research Staff (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- As postdoctoral researcher (40%), your gross monthly salary is calculated according to the pay scale for a principal research fellow in the Contract Research Staff category (Dutch: Bijzonder Academisch Personeel, BAP).
- Experienced researchers with a track record in obtaining external funding will coach you in grant writing to increase your chances of being successful in finding follow-up funding.
- Training and support in grant writing, are further guaranteed by the MOVANT research coordinator during the development of your project proposal for FWO-PF, MSCA-PF, etc.
- Runner-up candidates not receiving the present position, can solicit for similar support in grant writing for obtaining fellowships at our research group.
- You can make use of the MOVANT research infrastructure.
- The planned start date is 1 July 2023 or as soon as possible after that date.
- You will receive ecocheques, Internet-connectivity allowance and a bicycle allowance or a full reimbursement of public transport costs for commuting.
- You will do most of your work at Campus Drie Eiken in a dynamic and stimulating working environment.
- Find out more about working at the University of Antwerp here.
Want to apply?
- You can apply for this vacancy through the University of Antwerp’s online job application platform up to and including 26 January 2023 (by midnight Brussels time). Click on the ‘Apply’ button, complete the online application form and be sure to include the following attachments: a motivation letter, your academic CV, a scientific project proposal (max. 4 pages) in the field of e-Health and technology supported rehabilitation with rationale, objectives and short methodology.
- The selection committee will review all of the applications as soon as possible after the application deadline. As soon as a decision has been made, we will inform you about the next steps in the selection procedure. Please make a note of the following dates: online preselection interview of candidates on 13, 14 or 15 February 2023; 3-day hackathon for preselected candidates on 24-25-26 April 2023 (travel costs to Belgium are reimbursed).
If you have any questions about the online application form, please check the frequently asked questions or send an email to . If you have any questions about the job itself, please contact Lies Durnez, MOVANT research coordinator, ; or Mira Meeús, vice-chair MOVANT-research, .